1. Buy the beef: usually a cross rib or boneless blade... the package would say pot roast or roasting beef on it.
2. Rinse it off, trim any fat you don't want and pat dry.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Make a mirepoix (equal amounts of chopped (small dice) onion, celery and carrot and fry in 1 tsp oil. Set aside
5. Heat pan on medium/high heat, pour some oil (I like Safflower oil, but whatever veg. oil you like except for extra virgin olive oil-- it will burn) in the pan (maybe 1-2 tablespoons). Sear the meat on all sides.
6. Put the fried mirepoix and the roast into the crockpot.
7. Add cubed root vegetables (I like potatoes, sweet potatoes and parsnips, but use whatever you like).
8. Add 1 large can of chopped tomatoes (or chop fresh if you prefer)
9. Deglaze the pan you used to fry the beef with red wine (pour wine into pan and stir until all the brown bits come off). Add 1 tsp dijon mustard. Pour liquid into crockpot.
9. Add more red wine until the liquid just covers the veg and meat.
10. Top up with a bit of water (maybe 1/2")
11. Add spices as desired... I like garlic powder and oregano.
12. Turn on crock pot and wait for tasty goodness (mine usually takes about 6-8 hours).